Thursday, October 15, 2009

It's Pumpkin Time!! **Updated**

We Szramas love us some pumpkin! It somehow just goes with the chilly wind and changing leaves. My good friend Amanda & I just got back from walking our babies around Shelby Park, and it is definitely FALL! It's been too cold and rainy the past few days to enjoy it, so we took advantage of the lack of rain, if not sunshine. I'm hoping for a sunny day soon so I can pick all the last produce from our garden (green tomatos, a few red & yellow peppers, and sweet potatoes!), and turn it all under for winter. On that note-- anyone have good recipes for green tomatoes? I love them fried, but so many of these are small green ones, so it'd be hard to fry them.

On to my initial point: pumpkins. My friend Emily just posted a link to this site, with this recipe:

Pumpkin Spice Latte
makes 1-2 servings (Em said definitely 2)
Ingredients:
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons canned pumpkin OR 1 teaspoon of Torani Pumpkin Spice Syrup (your choice)
2 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute - you can halve this amount
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (= mixture of ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves/allspice)
1-2 shots espresso (about 1/4 cup of espresso or 1/2 cup of strong brewed coffee if you don't have an espresso machine.)

Directions:In a saucepan combine milk, pumpkin and sugar and cook on medium heat, stirring, until steaming. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and spice, transfer to a blender and process for 15 seconds until foamy. If you don't have a blender, don't worry about it - just whisk the mixture really well with a wire whisk. Pour into a large mug or two mugs. Add the espresso on top.

Optional: Top with whipped cream and sprinkle pumpkin pie spice, nutmeg, or cinnamon on top.

I'm going to try this out, and if it works, I'll have two steaming mugs ready when Ryan/Daddy comes home from his business trip!! :)

Pictures of a very cute baby in her fall suit coming, as well as more PUMPKIN!!! :)

EDIT:



Ok, so she wasn't very happy at the moment I snapped this shot, but she really didn't hate wearing her suit, I promise. See; here she is quite content. (We were just finishing up a walk)

2 comments:

Amy Donell Molina said...

sounds amazingly delicious!!! If only pumpkin spice was sold here!... darn it! I'd try it for sure! A good pumkin pie sounds great to me right now too.... but i think technically my "cravings" are suppose to have passed.... ??? :)
I love this time of the year in the states. ahh...sigh

Eowyn's Heir said...

Amy- all "pumpkin spice" is is a mixture of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon & cloves. I never buy cloves, but allspice gives the same flavor. So you could still make it! :) Even if all you put in was ginger & cinnamon, it would be yummy!