Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Word on Loving Our Husbands

My Mom emailed me this excerpt from Moments with You, by Dennis & Barbara Rainey. I thought it was really good, so here I am passing it on! =D

"The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish tears it down with her own hands." Proverbs 14:1

I often give three pieces of advice to young women before their wedding day. But because these remain just as important as we go through marriage and because they are fashioned by the Scriptures and proven by experience, I share them with you today—at whatever stage you find yourself in marriage:

- Believe in your husband. This is the most valuable gift Dennis says I’ve given him. You know your husband better than anyone. To see his faults and weaknesses and yet to believe in your husband’s God-given potential as a man and his leadership of your home does more than you can imagine for his spiritual growth.

- Be willing to confront your husband in love. Too many wives mistakenly believe they are following the biblical pattern of submission by ignoring or denying deficits in their husband’s life. But being submissive does not mean being silent. It simply means being wise and loving in how you approach him, treating him with kindness and respect. Say to your husband, “Could I talk to you about something?” Asking permission to broach a difficult subject may make it easier to get your message across. He is far less threatened and insecure this way.

- Pursue intimacy with him on every level. Most men consider physical intimacy the most important part of marriage. I’ve come to learn that it is central to my husband’s manhood. It’s the way God made him, and it is good. So rather than resenting it, learn to appreciate this aspect of your marriage as God’s design. And be willing to learn and grow, becoming God’s woman for your man. It’s not always easy, but with God, nothing is impossible.

2 comments:

Amy Donell Molina said...

Thanks for the God given and women experienced "tips". When I got married your mom gave me a book mark that I have posted on my refrigerater and had in my bible for a year or so... on How to Pray for your Husband. It's excellent and I use it all the time to guide my prayers for Claudio. Your mom is such a wise woman.

just a side note... on the last point... I know some women really do struggle with the physical part of there marriage... but I can't understand why it's so hard to beleive that you are attractive to your husband... you arrouse him... and he wants you! and in the end... resent him for that??? It makes perfect sense to me... and I think it's quite complementary to you as his wife! :)... sex is great! and it really was designed to be enjoyable for BOTH parties... not just some kind of womenly-wifly duty to her husband.
... I don't know. anyways... I am in totally agreement with Mrs. Rainey.

..... sorry I was a little out of commission there for a couple of days. I spiked a 103.6 fever on saturday night and was hospitalized after fainting because of a shot they gave me that dropped my bp down really low... aparently I had/have mastitis. Yeah... not fun. I'm on antibiotics now and am being extra "religious" about either breastfeeding every 3 hours no matter how long Jillian goes or pumping. If you have any tips for me in that area... those are welcome too. :)

.... love you lots and I'm still waitin' for this little girl of yours!

Ryan Szrama said...

I knew I'd heard of mastitis (one of our friends got it) but couldn't quite remember what it was. One Google image search later and I'm now praying Christina doesn't get it! Yikes!

Hope you get well soon, Amy. : )