Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My Favorite Side-Effects of Prgnancy :)

1. The hiccup.  I don't get "the hiccups."  I get "the hiccup!"  At regular intervals I suddenly have ONE lonely hiccup, then no more!  It cracks me & Ryan up.
2. Loss of my sweet tooth-- bye-bye craving for sweets, coffee and chocolate.  While I still like them in small doses, they just don't sound very appealing to me, and there's no temptation to have "too much."  This is a HUGE plus for me, as my mom, grandma & great-grandma all had at least gestational diabetes!
3. Getting to park in the expectant mothers parking.  I took advantage of this for the first time last week, when I was feeling very sick, and I was SO thankful!
4. The baby bump- tis all I have to show for the past 4 months (so far).  It also makes me able to get away with parking in the expectant moms spot! ;)
5. The ability to eat LOTS of cheese, LOTS of fats, and just about anything else I can keep down, which, unfortunately does not seem to include vitamins.
6. Hearing my baby's heartbeat, feeling him move, and imagining what he already looks like.  It boggles my mind to think that so much of his/her personality, abilities, likes/dislikes, and definitely appearance is already determined by the DNA already replicating in his cells... God already knows him, and I can't wait 'til we do, too!
7. MASSIVE sneeze power.  It's really quite amazing.  I sneeze, and it's an all-body, wall-shattering event.  Mama, mia, indeed! (I couldn't resist the pun)

My least favorite:
1. An incredibly perceptive schnoz-- I smell EVERYTHING!  I can't stand the smell of my own spice cabinet!  Going to the supermarket can be a nightmare, as you can imagine.  Sometimes I push the cart with one hand and cover my nose with another, lol.
2. Unabated, nearly constant, ravenous hunger.  Goodness, I never thought I'd get so tired of eating!
3. Cinnamon-induced heartburn.  While it's an interestingly novel sensation, I miss cinnamon!

And sort of my very favorite/my very least favorite:
Not being able to complete so many of my household chores.  Sure, we're eating and wearing clean clothes, and the bathroom gets overhauled regularly, but... dishes, sweeping, vacuuming, bed-making... these all escape me.  I hate leaving my home in such shambles, but it's been so sweet to have Ryan step up and help in a hundred little ways.  He doesn't complain about eating the same foods over & over (I just make one or two meals a week, and then we re-heat, because I don't usually have more than 1 or 2 evenings good enough to cook), either.  Not that he didn't help before, because he did, but now I guess he has so much more opportunity, and so much in ADDITION to what he already does, as I lay on the couch or in bed, and it just warms my heart.  Having my husband serve me so much is humbling, and so endearing.  I love him all the more for it.  When I feel better I'll kiss him to prove it. :)

1 comment:

MSF said...

I had the same experience with smells! Like bread toasting in the morning, or the men's friday morning breakfast foods (I would close the door and put the pillow over my face to try to block out the smell!) or, heaven forbid if I tried to be proactive and put something in the crockpot and then have to smell it! Actually, cooking in general was hard - having to smell everything as I made it made me not want to eat any of it when it was ready! Just think, in a few short months you'll reap the benefits! I'm praying for you guys! (And, if Matt goes to TFG next year, we're all coming, I have decided!!!)