Thursday, January 29, 2009

Grown-Up Sleepovers!


Well, as I write, I am curled up with my old pal Scout the cat next to me. When did we get a cat? Well, never. :) Some of you long-time readers may remember my companion from two summers ago, when I lived with Glen & Bethany Moore, an Immanuel couple. Well, I'm back at their house, along with Ryan, Lyle, and another family from Immanuel/ Glen & Ryan's work. Why all the fun? Well, we just like having 7 adults and two babies in one house! Well... maybe more because the power is out all over Louisville, including dear little Top Porch. Ryan just went by there to check on it, and it's now 34 degrees in our living room. What's the use of having gas central heat if you still need electricity to run it!??? I do not know.

It's been a very fun break, though. Ryan didn't have to go IN to work until lunch time today, but was able to work from the Moore's house. I got lots of grading done (it had piled up during prep for the Christmas Concert), played with the babies, and did some communal cooking. Ryan & I had fun tramping through the snow, digging out our car (which performed like a champ-- we were so thankful to God for a reliable car right now!), and roughing it here in the Moore's living room. I'd never met Scott & Sunshine, and really enjoyed talking to Sunshine and playing with their baby, Jude. Of course, Ryan & I adore "little D"-- the Moore's baby, whom we've babysat before. Last night we all ate all sorts of leftovers
which everyone combined, and then I
got to make a cold-weather favorite-- Tapioca Pudding!

My choir papers lie in neat piles about me, most of them now graded, alphabetized into packets, and entered into my gradebook! I just emailed out a lesson plan to all the girls in my class, which required me to import ALL their family email addresses and create a sending list in my school email account. Why did I have to do that now? Well, usually our school office handles all the emails, but on Wednesday our school webmaster had a baby, AND all the power went down at the school, including I believe the server. So...I figured I'd better do it myself if I wanted the kids to actually have a chance to do any of their assignments. Anyway, I'm happy with my "work" done today, and am very excited about going on to more "fun" things... like reading! I've still got Wives & Daughters to finish-- it was too good to rush-- Girl Meets God to finish (it's mostly a re-read--excellent, by Lauren Winner) by Saturday, a chapter in Because He Loves Me to finish by tonight's Book Study, and a chapter in Fabricating Jesus; how modern scholars distort the Gospels, which I'm reading along with Ryan for his "Person & Work of Jesus" class! It's really easy reading, and quite thought-provoking. I'll probably write a whole post on IT! :) Oh yes, and there's always my journal to keep up... I'm a busy girl-- give me a day of peace and quiet and nowhere, no way to go, and I'm HAPPY!! :)

(Little D is taking a nap, or else I'd be sorely tempted to just play with him! He is SOOOO cute!)

Thankful for Christian brotherly hospitality,
--Christina

No comments: