Sunday, November 09, 2008

Thankful and Passisonate

The past few days have been mentally exhausting, and grieving for me. I remember why I have always hated politics, even as I get fired up about them. In high school I was on the speech and debate team, and wasn't half bad at either drama or debate (Congressional style), but despite the enjoyment and success I was often frustrated by the end of a tournament.

Why? Partly because I hate hearing things that I consider to be wrong. That can be really funny when I'm actually the wrong one, and it used to get me into trouble all the time as a kid. :) By God's grace I've learned a lot about patience, forbearance, HUMILITY, and just overlooking silly differences. Who cares if they call that color indigo and it's really cerulean, right? Then it's just MY standard we're talking about. But it's not so funny when the issues are huge, as they tend to be in Congressional debates. When we're talking fiscal or even educational policy, I have less difficulty being flexible. But moral issues (and most everything comes back to a moral issue)... those really are hard for me. Why? Because a lot of those issues aren't contradicting me; they're contradicting the Truth of God, as I understand it. I want to "fix" everyone's opinion, correct every flaw in logic or morality. First reason to be thankful: I'm NOT God, and I don't know the answer to everything, and I'm not responsible for everyone! I'm learning to hand a lot of that over to God in prayer... but God's word is crystal-clear about some things, and it weighs so heavy on my heart to see people I love being deceived, whether politically, or spiritually. I've wrestled a lot with fear lately, too; fear over the future, fear over my loved ones' souls, fear over our nation... lots of fear.

We are supposed to be Valient-for-Truth, we are supposed to have unswerving, unshakable integrity. We are supposed to be narrow-minded in one sense when it comes to God's word and will... that does not mix well with "politics." I am still just as passionate about "issues," and following the mandate of God's Word when it comes to ANY area of life (How cool is that-- because Scripture is God-breathed, it is applicable to every area of life, even politics thousands of years later). But I also must stop myself from exchanging politics with the Gospel.

Let me clarify: The Gospel = "good news"= the news that God became a man, lived perfectly on earth, died under the wrath of God according to a pre-made plan, and then rose in victory and power 3 days later, all in order to pay for the sins of all who trust in that death, and that death alone, to save them. All who call on Christ to save them become united to Him, and so get the blessing, smile and inheritance of God that HE alone deserves. Those people are indwelt with the very Spirit of God and are adopted into His family, so of course now they WANT to obey Him and please the One who has not held anything back in love for them. It's pretty all-encompassing. It affects every single facet and moment of your life.

That's the rub for me. Because politics touches so many areas of our daily lives, from how fast we drive to where our tax goes to what our attitude towards immigrants are to where our kids go to school, it is close to the Gospel. So I want to make it perfect; I want to make it into a gospel to my liking. The difference is that it offers no true hope. Sure, it can make life a lot easier or difficult here on earth. It can oppress or set free in many capacities. But it cannot make you have peace with God. It cannot give you hope to get you through anything this fallen world may throw at you. It cannot fix your broken heart. Laws are powerless, really.

So I must channel my passion into the One Thing that DOES save and mend and dictate life, life Eternal: the Gospel. I'm thankful for a True Hope-- the Gospel. I've said a lot about our nation, our president, and our politics. I want to say even more about Jesus Christ. I do want to challenge all of you who are Christians reading these words, wherever or whenever you are: are your political views clearly flowing out of Scriptural principles? You may not see eye to eye with me on how they play out, but are you consciously, prayerfully, making Scripture even the mandate of your political opinions? And are you treating and speaking of your "opponents" gently, respectfully and as you would like to be treated/spoken of? We are to do all things in gentleness and respect, lest we shame the name of our Savior. And the enemy is never the other political opinion; the enemy is the Prince of the World, Satan, who is the Father of Lies. May I stand firm and "destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ," first and foremost in my own heart! (2 Cor. 10:5)

The Christians living in Rome under a serious of often- delusional rulers, the Caesars (think Emperor Nero), were told to "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. ...For he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer." (Rom 13) This is NERO we're talking about. Talk about oppressive, downright insane politics! Yet they are told to honor him, and to view the Roman authorities as agents of God's goodness! I'm thankful for God's sovereignty, and His faithfulness throughout the ages!

Ultimately, we have a King, not a President. We have a Supreme Judge, not a Supreme Court. We have the Laws of God, not those of Congress. Way more demanding... and way more comforting. If we are in Christ, all things work for our good. Even our own death is for our good. And our beloved Ruler will in the end be clearly seen as THE Champion of all time. As much as Obama supporters rejoiced when "their candidate" won, untold thousands times deeper and purer will be the joy that resounds through the heart of His saints when Christ ascends His throne forever. Fix your eyes and feast on THAT!!

No comments: