Thursday, February 26, 2009

Yummy, Yummy, YUMMY!!

I'm enjoying Day 2 of my Winter Break, mainly by just being home. :) I try to do random bits of housework when I need to stand up and stretch from sitting grading endless stacks of homework. The best part is the food, though. It astounds me how quickly I get hungry after eating until full these days. (No, I am not sure there's only one baby in there, lol.) But it's so nice to be able to be baking all day, to allow for snacking all day. :) It's fun to have my kitchen smell nice again (for once the smells don't drive me into the fetal position concentrating on NOT vomiting.)-- beans on the stove, bread in the breadmaker, yummies in & out of the oven, and muffins soon to be mixed. I'm trying to stay ahead of the hunger, as it just feels much nicer all around, and hopefully keeps little Szrama growing properly. I just pulled something out of the oven so yummy & simple that I thought I'd better post it online so anyone else could try it!

My friend Natasha first made this for us, and we loved 'em so much that I got the cookbook. Well, not JUST for that reason, but... ;)

Sweet Potato Dollars
(based on recipe in Nourishing Traditions, by Sally Fallon)
Serves 4
-- 3-4 sweet potatoes
-- 3 T melted butter (just stick it in the oven while you're preheating it, and while you're dealing w/ the potatoes)
-- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
-- sea salt

Preheat oven to 350.
Peel the potatoes & slice crosswise into 1/4" wide "dollars." You may need to cut the middle piece the other way-- shape doesn't matter so much as thickness. Brush 2 cookie sheets with mixture of olive oil & butter. Arrange the dollars in a single layer and brush with remaining butter & oil. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt. Bake @ 350 for about 45 min. (Watch for burning on the thinnest pieces.)

Enjoy!!! The combination of salty & sweet is always a favorite for me! Now I just need to learn to make BBQ chips at home...

Tip: if you want to make a small trial run batch, just use 1 potato and 1 T each of butter & oil. It should fit nicely on 1 cookie sheet.

2 comments:

Amy Donell Molina said...

sounds really yummy!... but we don't get sweet potatoes down here... it stinks because they are much more nutritious than the regular potatoes... and taste better too. We have a "batata" which is more like some other cousin of the potatoe, but not sweet, and you get about the same amount of vitamines from a potatoe.... nothing like all the rich vitamine A you get from a sweet potatoe. stink-a-roo.

Some thoughts from Mr. Karina said...

I made this for us the other night and Dad did not know what they were..We both loved it! Maybe I liked it more:)