Saturday, December 01, 2007
What I Took to the Ladies' Fellowship Tonight...
As I left the house, Ryan & Rob were literally licking off the cookie tins, so I thought I'd post this recipie for more to enjoy. Every guy that's tried it has really liked it, including the notoriously non-cookie-fan David Shuey the Younger...and he wouldn't believe they were gluten-free, either! Heheh... I like to feed people, so I like to make these!
“Brer Rabbit” Molasses Cookies
2/3 c canola oil (3/4 softened butter ok too) yield: ~5 dozen
1 c sugar + extra to sprinkle on top (organic raw best) a Szrama favorite ☺
¼ c molasses
2 c flour (GF: 1 c rice flour, ½ c oat or millet flour, ¼ c cornstarch, ¼ c sorghum flour)
2 t baking soda (GF: add ¼ t xanthan gum)
1 t cinnamon, ½ t salt, ½ allspice or ground cloves
1 t freshly grated ginger (or ½ t dried ground ginger ) Honestly, I think it's the fresh ginger that has made these such hits, so if you can help it, don't leave it out!!
• Beat the oil and sugar together.
• Add molasses and egg—beat until well-blended. Add ginger if using fresh.
• Sift (or mix together with a fork) flour, soda, salt & spices
• Fold flour mixture into molasses mixture, mix well. Cover and chill.
• Form into SMALL (1”) balls. Sprinkle sugar on top, space 2” apart on greased cookie sheet.
• Bake @ 375º for 8 min (‘til cracked and golden-brown)
• Let stand for 1 min. Remove to wire rack to cool. Great with milk laced with cinnamon & maple syrup!!
a favorite holiday song of mine...
"and the snow, it comes down, and it muffles the sound/ of dreams on their way to tomorrow..."