Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Days Are a Teacher's Best Friend

I was a little concerned last night around 11, when nothing was falling from the sky at all, and I was feeling very very tired.  
Let me explain...  Lyle went with us to Moe's, then tux-fitting (we talked- about weddings, of course,- while Ryan got all measured), and then to Best Buy.  There he picked up Wall-E, I think as a very belated Christmas gift for his dad (Lyle's dad, if you are somehow reading this blog, I am so very sorry I just ruined it for you. :/).  Once we got home, the boys somehow convinced me to stay up and watch it with them, reassuring me with weather forecasts and satellite images that we WOULD have enough snow and ice to warrant school being cancelled Tuesday.  Wall-E was very much enjoyed-- it's amazing how much they are able to convey without dialogue; just electronic beeps, chirps, and grrrs as well as emotion wonderfully depicted with posture and eye shape.  I was very impressed.  I also loved the Hello Dolly clips interspersed throughout the movie-- Nicole, I thought of you & I trying to sing those songs.  We got the melodies right, at least... :)

So that led me to being still awake at 11 (barely), and wondering what I'd wear to school in the morning... which was looking very dark and soon.

I was a little concerned last night around 11, when nothing was falling from the sky at all, and I was feeling very very tired.
Well, by the Grace of God, we DID have a snow day, as Ryan assured me when my alarm went off at 6 am-- "Don't get up, Babe.  There's no way you have school today.  Don't even bother checking your email."  I believed him, figuring that at the worst Sina would call to tell me she was on her way and I'd have to drive myself.  

So, we've spent the day indoors, resting.  I worked on school stuff, got to read lots of the Bible in Ryan's new ESV Study Bible with the WONDERFUL footnotes, and am now finishing the last of my wedding thank-yous.  Yes, I know.  It's been 18 months.  But I WILL finish them!  (sorry if you still haven't gotten yours.  It's probably coming.)  Ryan's trying to kick a cold, so he stayed home (out of the freezing rain and ongoing snow), slept all morning and is now working a bit from home.  I made a pot of Cooped-Up Soup (that means anything that you have on hand and that would taste good heated up together)-- today that meant onion, garlic, tomato, brown rice, a bay leaf, rosemary, and salt simmering in homemade chicken bone broth.  Ryan says it's yummy and I'm about to try it out.   I love cold days when I'm allowed to stay home and inside! :)  

No comments: