Thursday, March 15, 2007

Another thought

Statement by Robin (my cooperating teacher) that had me musing: "trying to organize curriculum by standard puts the kids "in a box; you want to have them broad, so you can adopt to what they (the kids) want to learn."

...do I actually agree? I know that children learn more effectively when it's something they WANT to learn. But do we need to begin differentiating as early as elementary school? They're so excited about learning in general... I think I think that there are some things every child needs to learn, whether they really want to or not. Can't we make the learning process interesting, no matter what the "facts" that need to be learned are? It seems that the teacher's job isn't to make the content itself interesting (because they already are, if you look at it the right way), but rather the way those concepts are taught interesting.

No comments: